Salads have become a critical part of my diet, and if there’s one thing I can’t stand it’s a boring meal, which salads can quickly become. I’ve been playing around with different, and sometimes unusual, ingredients in my salads lately, but the standard taco salad remains a favourite. It’s crunchy, crisp, fresh, and has some kick to it. This is my standard recipe, but you can definitely play around with it and add all kinds of ingredients. Want something spicier? Add some jalapeno or use a spicy taco seasoning. I used Cool Ranch Doritos for my chips, but most people would use the Nacho Cheese ones, or you could use regular tortilla chips. I don’t use a dressing on this because I find the meat adds enough of that, but President’s Choice makes an amazing Salsa Ranch Dressing if you need one. I use ground chicken (turkey would work well too) to make this healthier than using beef, and it is just as amazing! Enjoy!
- Pre-heat a non-stick pan, add meat and cook until browned.
- While meat browns, chop veggies.
- Once meat is browned add onion and tomato, saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning and water to meat mixture, simmer until thickened.
- In a bowl mix together lettuce, red pepper, cheese, and tortilla chips.
- Add meat mixture to salad.